Gasping for Breath:

Hello and welcome to OURSTORY, a platform accessible for all to present individuals stories right in front of your very eyes. My mission is to have as many voices heard as possible so that we can all be brought together as one community and to hopefully expose that we are all not that different.

To help raise awareness of these stories, follow my blog to be the first to receive new posts but also comment and share these truthful words spoken by these valiant people.

Join me today with Katie, an exuberant teen, who is breathing in the fresh air from her fatal escape...

WARNING: This story includes depression, suicide and abuse.

Gasping for Breath:

"With the sweat dripping off me, he stared at me through his demonic, monstrous eyes. It was like something out of a mafia movie."

Katie is a British 16-year-old, high school post-graduate. She may be young, but she has experienced more than the average teenager would at this age:

"I was in an abusive relationship, where he gambled and drank constantly. I felt like I was going insane. The bruises and the marks left on my skin looked like a broken tree, with just a little heartbeat pumping inside of it."

Katie also describes her life, at that moment, in having, "a little bit of sunshine, but not too much.". Many would question the significance of the relationship she was in, asking her to walk away and cut ties with this venomous vector. However, it was a lot easier to say than do:

"Have you ever left a dangerous, alcoholic and abusive boyfriend? When people would tell me to, I would remind them it is the most difficult and scariest thing to do. I'm scared of heights and things likewise, but this scare was something I have never experienced in my life."

"He started to come towards me and apologise, promising that he would never do it again...but he did: he carried on. He wouldn't stop until I was on the floor or in the corner shaking, crying and screaming."

One moment, in particular, has left a significant scar upon Katie:

"His hands were wrapped around my neck and it was like my life was flashing right before my eyes. I was gasping for breath and every inch of my body was tingling."

And if this living nightmare wasn't going to end Katie first, it would be her own crumbling mental health:

"It's life-threating. I tried killing myself so many times."

"I didn't want to tell my dad because I wasn't sure if I could reach out to him. I tried to rethink it alone but it didn't help. I used to show little signs to my family, for example, I would cry and I would openly feel 'down' all the time. I even used to do bad things to give my family signs that something was going on and I needed help."

Scared, solitary and sorrowful-Katie was trudging through this growing gloominess. Stitches were being sewn upon her lips, causing her to fall silent...until an unexpected meet-up with a friend caused the strings to no longer be attached: 

"My friend was talking about abusive relationships and I confessed that I've been in the same scenario before. It sounded like my story, but I wasn't sure if I could match it up. On another occasion, we met and discussed this further, where I felt I related to this so much."

"As a consequence, my mum now knows what's happened, but my Dad doesn't. I believe the conversation and the consequences of it wouldn't reach the objective of which I feel is best. My mum allowed time over the situation; she burst into tears as I told her my story. She never would have thought that this would happen to me, but you don't really know what's going to happen to your kids."

The "little bit of sunshine" started to peer through and cast its rays upon Katie's life. A previously concealed mustard seed of courage started to grow and, as a result, she's ready to speak about her story to the world:

"Only three people know my story, those who I really trust. But I'm ready to share my story so I can help others."

"My advice is that you should always reach for help; internalising it messes your life up. You experience flashbacks and dreams like I still do, but reaching out helps you to move on. There are so many contact numbers and mental health campaigns out there, but even your best friend or someone you can confide with (if you don't feel comfortable discussing this with your family, which is completely understandable) can help soothe the pain."

If you loved this story, share it with as many people as possible and brace yourselves for the next story which is yet to come! Follow OURSTORY today to support the brave people who have shared their stories.


Now I'll leave you with this:


Is your story ready to be heard?


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you had to experience this young, in fact at all. I hope the damage is repairable and leaves as little as possible lasting damage. I pray that you can move forward and find YOUR happiness with this experience making you stronger eventually and less fragile. Take care of you and thank you for sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment